I would like to apply for
- The total number of related parties employed by MPs at July 7, 2015
- The total pay annual pay bill for all related parties employed by MPs at July 7, 2015
IPSA holds the information that you request.
Under the MPs’ Scheme of Business Costs and Expenses (‘the Scheme’), Staffing Expenditure may only be claimed for the salary of one employee who is a connected party, unless an MP employed more than one connected party on 7 May 2010. You can find a full copy of the Scheme on our website, by following this link.
For the purposes of the Scheme, a connected party is defined as:
- a spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner of the member;
- parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece of the member or of a spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner of the member; or
- a body corporate, a firm or a trust with which the MP is connected as defined in section 252 of the Companies Act 2006.
At July 7th, 2015, there were 155 connected parties employed by MPs. This figure includes any connected parties still in the employment of former MPs who departed at the 2015 General Election (at the time of the request). The total sum of these 155 employees’ gross pay is £3,683,803.99.