Would it be possible to know whether Seema Malhotra has applied for contingency funding from IPSA to supplement her staffing budget this year?
- Was it accepted?
- How much was given?
- And what was the reason she gave for requiring extra funds?
IPSA holds the information that you request.
You may be aware that IPSA publishes all claims for business costs and expenses on our website every two months, three months in arrears. You can view the published information via this link to our publication website.
We now publish details of all applications for contingency funding received, including the MP’s name, the amount applied for, and whether the application was approved.
To find details of these applications, the following instructions may help.
- Select ‘Aggregate Data’ via the menu bar at the top of the page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select a financial year.
- Two links will appear on the right hand side. Open the link to ‘other data’.
- This will open a spreadsheet which, amongst other information, provides details on contingency applications made to IPSA.
This information is published annually. Details of applications made this financial year will be published following the end of the financial year.
Section 22(1) of the FOIA states that information intended for future publication is exempt from release. We have considered whether the public interest in releasing the information outweighs the application of the exemption. It is our opinion that the public interest is best served by publishing a full list annually rather than individual requests on an ad hoc basis, as in this way a clear and complete set of information is published, avoiding any potential confusion. It is for this reason that the application of the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosure at this stage.