IPSA receives around 180,000 claims each financial year. As our understanding of the volume and nature of claims has grown over the years, we have refined our approach to validation.
Today we have a three-layered approach to the validation and assurance of claims which takes account of risk and the need for public assurance, and also seeks to reimburse MPs, or their suppliers, as quickly as possible.
In addition to the individual validation of MPs' claims and a quarterly review of each MP's expenditure, IPSA's assurance team, which is separate from those members of staff conducting the earlier validation, carry out a programme of assurance reviews of aggregate spending by MPs in a range of categories.
Since 2017, we have published an Annual Review of Assurance which summarises all the validation and assurance work during the year.
Details of these assurance reviews can be found below.
- Travel and subsistence: Summary of expenditure 2010-2015, Assessment of compliance 2015-16
- Surveys and gifts: Summary of expenditure and assessment of compliance 2015-16
- Assurance Review: Pooled services -Assessment of risks, controls and compliance, 2015-16
- Assurance Review: The EU Referendum Analysis of expenditure, 15 April – 23 June 2016
- Connected Parties: May 2010 - March 2015
- General Election 2015