Summary of Budgets for 2017-18.
New Starter Forms & Tools
Click the relevant tabs above to access forms and tools that will help set up new starters.
Below is a step by step guide for putting a new member of staff on to your payroll, the steps you need to follow are:
- Check if you have enough money in your budget.
- Decide if you want to recruit someone on a Permanent, Fixed-Term or Casual basis.
- Select a job description for the role to which you wish to recruit, and check the salary range.
- Advertise the vacancy and conduct appropriate assessments to ensure you have the best candidate for the role. (The Members’ HR Advice Service in the House of Commons can provide advice on this stage – their number is 020 7219 2080.)
- Create and print out a contract for the successful candidate ensuring that the job title is the same as the one in the job description. It is important to note that standard terms within contracts for MPs’ employees cannot be amended or deleted.
- Ask your employee to sign the contract (in blue ink) and also ask them to complete and sign the Employee New Starter Form. The latter also asks the individual to enclose a P45 or HMRC Starter Checklist.
- Send IPSA:
For new staff on Permanent and Fixed-Term contracts, we need to receive this documentation by the 15th of the month to ensure the employee is paid at the end of the month.
For new staff on Casual contracts we need to receive the documentation by the 7th of the month. This deadline is necessary to ensure that any authorised timesheets relating to work up to the 15th will be included in that month's payroll.