Skip to the content

Dissolution FAQs

Dissolution: Campaigning – MPs’ Staff

No. IPSA funded MPs’ staff can only campaign outside paid working time. This means MPs’ staff can only campaign:

  • outside their working hours (for example, in the evenings and at weekends)
  • if they take annual leave
  • if they take unpaid leave, or
  • if they use any time off in lieu they have accrued (for example, if they have done overtime for which they have not been paid)

MPs should make sure that all of their staff are aware of these options.

It is recommended that MPs or MPs’ staff keep a record of time off in lieu used.

If staff members choose to take unpaid leave, MPs must complete and send IPSA the unpaid leave form by the 15th of the month to ensure that the proper adjustments can be made to their pay.

If, after the election, MPs realise that their staff members did undertake campaigning activities while on paid IPSA time, MPs must either:

  • arrange for the time to be deducted from staff’s annual leave entitlement; or
  • complete and send IPSA the unpaid leave form so that we can make adjustments to their pay.

It is up to MPs to decide if their staff members’ work is campaigning or parliamentary work. As always, all claims will be subject to review by IPSA. For more details, please refer to paragraph 3.5 of the current scheme.

Dissolution: Campaigning - IPSA funded items

No. Office equipment and supplies purchased in support of MPs’ parliamentary functions may not be used for party political activities.

MPs may, however, use office equipment and supplies for parliamentary work during dissolution, for example for casework.

If an MP has not yet claimed for office equipment and supplies, they should only claim the amount which relates to their parliamentary functions.

No. IPSA-funded IT equipment cannot be used for campaigning under any circumstances. 

IPSA funded equipment will have a yellow asset tag. House of Commons funded IT equipment will have a purple asset tag.

No. If an MP intends to use their office for campaigning work, the MP must repay IPSA the proportion of the rent and utilities used for campaigning.

Dissolution: Changes to working arrangements

MPs’ staff who work in Westminster will no longer be able to work in the London office during dissolution (please see the House of Commons guidance for details). If there is no urgent work for them to do, MPs can grant them paid leave in the usual way. However, if the staff member is required to carry out parliamentary work, they can either:

  • work from home; or
  • work from the constituency office.

Yes. Staff can claim the cost of travel from London to the constituency, as well as subsistence and hotel costs for the staff member to stay within the constituency if necessary. These costs should not be claimed if the staff member will be campaigning.

It will remain the MPs’ responsibility, as the employer, to manage their staff.

Dissolution: Making Claims

No, the rules for claiming remain the same. Claims for office costs, travel, hotels, and subsistence can be made provided that the claims are for parliamentary purposes.

No, the rules for claiming remain the same. Claims for office costs, travel, hotels, and subsistence can be made provided that the claims are for parliamentary purposes.

Dissolution: Access to systems and services

Yes, all direct payment facilities will operate as normal. MPs must, however, only claim for items that are for parliamentary purposes.

Yes, they will work, but they should not be used for campaigning purposes and should include a note to say the incumbent is no longer an MP. Please refer to the House of Commons’ dissolution guidance for more information.

Yes. However, MPs and their staff need to check that their RSA token is on a device they can access during dissolution. MPs and their staff can contact us if they have any problems with their RSA tokens.

No. Payment cards will work throughout dissolution. Payment cards will stop for departing MPs on 20th July (unless they request otherwise).

We will continue to issue reconciliations to MPs and former MPs as normal. The payment card runs to the 24th of the month and MPs receive the statement a few days after, with 30 days to reconcile.

Dissolution: Payroll

Yes, MPs will continue to receive their salary as normal up until polling day (See Winding Up FAQs for information on MPs’ salaries after polling day).

MPs’ staff will continue to be paid as normal up until polling day. If MPs’ staff take unpaid leave, their MP will need to tell IPSA in advance and by the payroll deadline (the 15th of the month), so that their salary can be adjusted (See Winding Up FAQs for information on MPs’ staff member salaries after polling day).

Yes, but the usual cut off dates apply.

For new casual staff, payroll information needs to be sent to IPSA by the 7th of the month, or the nearest working day.

Any other payroll information needs to be sent to IPSA by the 15th of each month, or the nearest working day.

Please note, online timesheets must be submitted and approved by the MP by 15th of the month in order to be paid in the same month.

Yes, however there is a clause delaying entitlement to double statutory redundancy coming into effect for six months from the time that a member of staff transfers over. To transfer staff members over to an IPSA contract, MPs can use IPSA’s contract tool.