Skip to the content

Compliance Officer for IPSA

The Compliance Officer for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Compliance Officer for IPSA) is an independent statutory office holder. She has a separate website at:

The Compliance Officer's remit is defined in statute and is to:

  • conduct an investigation if he has reason to believe that an MP may have been paid an amount under the MPs' Scheme of Business Costs and Expenses ('the Scheme') that should not have been allowed; and
  • at the request of an MP, to review a decision by IPSA to refuse reimbursement for an expense claim, in whole or in part.

If you wish to make a complaint about a claim made by an MP under the Scheme, or if you are an MP wishing to request a review of a determination by IPSA to refuse an expense claim, you should contact the Compliance Officer.

For more information on the role of the Compliance Officer, including further contact details, please visit

Role and remit

The post of Compliance Officer was established by the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009 (as amended by the Constitutional Reform and Governance Act 2010) and the Compliance Officer’s duties and powers are defined in the Act.

The Compliance Officer for IPSA reports to, but is not directed by, IPSA's Board. She is wholly independent of IPSA's executive branch. Funding for the Compliance Officer to carry out her duties is provided by IPSA, in accordance with the Act.

The Compliance Officer is appointed for a single term of five years. The current Compliance Officer is Tracy Hawkings, who took up the post in July 2018, and undertakes the role on a part-time basis working two days per week. Click here to find out more about Tracy Hawkings.

Prior to July 2018, Andy McDonald was in post between January 2018 and July 2018, and Peter Davis was in post between December 2011 and December 2016. 


Code of Conduct and MPs' financial interests

IPSA is not responsible for the MPs' Code of Conduct or for MPs' financial interests, including second jobs.


Please contact the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards if you have a query relating to these issues.